In preparation for celebrations, commemorations, and interrogations of 1916, the American Conference for Irish Studies invites members to list and promote events related to the centenary on the list below, hosted by ACIS in conjunction with the British Association of Irish Studies (BAIS).
Members are welcome to modify and add to the list at any time by logging in and selecting the “Edit” tab that will appear at the top right of this screen.
September/Meán Fómhair 2015
- 17: (New York University) 1916: An Evening of Music
October/Deireadh Fómhair 2015
- 15: (New York University) O’Donovan Rossa: Shane Kenna with Terry Golway
- 29: (New York University) United Irish League of America. 17th Annual O’Malley Lecture with Francis Carroll
- 19: (New York University) 1916: An Evening of Prose
December/Mí na Nollag 2015
- 21: (Boston College) Mike Cronin, “The Enemy in Dublin in 1916: Who were the British”
- 4: (New York University) 1916: An Evening of Poetry
- 11: (Marquette University) Tim McMahon, “Revolutions: Reconsidering the Rising”
- 19-20: (Lehman College-CUNY) Irish Language Literature and History of Ireland Symposium
- 22: (Boston College) Fintan O’Toole, “Culture and Society in Ireland, 1916”
- 3: (Marquette University) Mary Trotter, “Theater and Revolution: Reconsidering the Rising”
- 4: (Columbia University) Justin Dolan Stover, “The Environmental Impact of War on the Irish City and Landscape”
- 18: (Le Moyne College): Easter 1916 Lecture: “‘Not Free Merely, but Gaelic as Well’: Was 1916 a Gaelic Rising?” by Tim McMahon (Marquette U)
- 18-20: (Boston College) International Conference, Easter 1916: “A Terrible Beauty is Born”
- 23: (Quinnipiac University) “The Seed of the People: 1916 in Ireland,” an original exhibition by Ireland’s Great Hunger Institute in association with the Arnold Bernhard Library, curated by Professors Christine Kinealy and Michael Chiarappa; on view through 30 September, 2016
- 26: (Milwaukee Irish Fest Center) “The Music and Images of the 1916 Easter Rising,” with Marguerite Helmers (U Wisconsin Oshkosh), McKayla Sutton (UW Milwaukee), and Jeff Ksiazek (Ward Irish Music Archives)
- 28: (Boston College) Easter Rising Commemorative Concert
- 28: A Series of Commemorative Events at Quinnipiac University (Hamden, CT) including poetry lecture and readings with Irish poet Des Egan and a dramatic reading of the Proclamation on the steps of the Arnold Bernhard Library at noon. See Quinnipiac.edu/1916 for details
- 28-29 (Idaho State University) 1916 Easter Rising Pop-Up Museum
- (University of Notre Dame): Easter, 1916: The Irish Rebellion. Exhibit at the Hesburgh Library, February 12 – April 28. http://rarebooks.library.nd.edu/exhibits/
- 4: (Quinnipiac University) Twinsome Minds: Recovering 1916 in Images and Stories, Richard Kearney and Sheila Gallagher, visit www.quinnipiac.edu/1916 for details
- 5-6: (Marquette University): Brian Ó Conchubhair, “Revolutions in Culture: Reconsidering the Rising”
- 5: (New York Irish Center): Tracey Iceton, “Patrick Pearse: His Writing and His Revolution” (Includes readings from Iceton’s novel Green Dawn at St Enda’s)
- 14-17: (Quinnipiac University) The Shadow of a Gunman, Produced by the Department of Visual and Performing Arts, details and ticket information available at www.quinnipiac.edu/1916
- 18: (Marquette University): R. F. Foster, “The Revolutionary Generation in Ireland: Reconsidering the Rising”
- 19: (Boston College) A 0ne-day conference, “James Joyce and the Rising”
- 20: (New York University) A Terrible Beauty, screening & commentary with Colin & Dave Farrell
- 21-22: (New York University) Easter 1916: A Symposium at NYU
- 22: (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee) Reading and Performance of Songs, Poems, Letters, and Texts Related to 1916. Joyce Room, County Clare Irish Inn, 1234 N. Astor St., Milwaukee, WI.
- 24: (Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Rochester, New York): The Life and Legacy of Catherine Wheelwright, Eamon de Valera’s Mother. Sponsored by the St. John Fisher College Irish Studies Program, with support from the Consulate General of Ireland.
- 27: (University of South Florida) Matthew Knight, America’s Fanatic Hearts: the Role of the U.S. in the Easter Rising. Also commemorating the donation of the private library of James J. Harkins to USF Special Collections.
- 29: (University of California, Berkeley) Reflecting on the Rising: The 1916 Centenary
Friday, April 29th, 3:00 p.m., The Maude Fife Room (315 Wheeler Hall), The University of California, Berkeley
September/Meán Fómhair 2016
29: (Quinnipiac University) 1916: The Irish Rebellion, documentary screening and panel discussion co-sponsored by The Keough-Naughton Institute at Notre Dame, visit www.quinnipiac.edu/1916 for details and registration
October/Deireadh Fómhair 2016
17: (Boston College) Irish Women Rising: Gender and Politics in Revolutionary Ireland, 1900 – 1923. Exhibition, 17 October 2016 – 25 March 2017. Visit http://www.bc.edu/libraries/about/exhibits-new/BurnsExhibits/irishwomen.html for details.
December/Mí na Nollag 2016
- 3: (Boston College) Fairies, Rebels, and the Boundaries of the House in 1916